My I love French toast. It’s not only a great use of old, stale bread, but the sweet custard can be made to your taste. For instance, pumpkin pie spice adds a wonderful hint of autumn.
But no matter the season this French Toast Casserole is a great breakfast/brunch dish. It can also be made ahead of time, placed in the fridge, and then baked when you’re ready.
If you have any stale bread that you’re questioning whether or not to toss out, then turn it into this French Toast Casserole with a crumble topping.
-1/2 loaf stale bread, cubed
-1/2 c milk
-1 Tbsp sugar
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 c flour
-1/4 c oats
-1 tsp sugar
-1/4 c butter, softened
- In a bowl, make the custard by adding the eggs, milk, sugar, and cinnamon. Whisk all together.
- Line a baking tray with parchment and layer the cubed bread in. Then pour the custard over, making sure to coat every bread cube.
- Next make the crumble topping by rubbing the butter into the flour, oats, and sugar. Then spread over the bread.
- Bake the casserole at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 C) for 25 minutes, then broil for 5 minutes before removing from the oven.
- Enjoy with syrup or powdered sugar^-^