Do you know the muffin man? He lives on Drury Lane, or at least he does in the Mother Goose rhymes.
Muffins as Americans know them are very different from those of British, or English, muffins. British muffins date back to the 10th century and are made with yeast and have a flat shape; American muffins first appeared in the 19th century, use baking soda/powder as a leavening agent and have a rounded top
I grew up with [American] muffins as a breakfast item. However, the high-carb, high-calories food is not always ideal. Therefore I came upon low-carb versions on YouTube and decided to make my own. Not only do I not feel fat, bloated, and guilty after having two, but I also feel satisfied with the sweet chocolate flavor. I now consider these my Chocolate Weight Loss Muffins.
- 2 c. almond flour
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. instant coffee
- 1/4 c. protein powder of your choice
- 1/3 c. sweetener of your choice (I used sugar)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips
- 1/4 c. oats or buts nuts (optional)
- 1/3 c. oil of your choice (I used coconut)
- 4 eggs, separated into yolks and whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. water
- In a large bowl combine the almond flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee, protein powder, sugar, baking powder, salt, chocolate chips and oats/nuts, and mix everything together thoroughly.
- Then add the oil, vanilla extract, water and egg yolks, and mix once again.
- In a separate bowl, whip the eggs whites into stiff peaks. Then fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the wet batter before folding in the rest of the whites.
- Divide the batter into muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 C) for 20 minutes.
- Allow the muffins to cool slightly and enjoy ^-^